Irrigation upgrade increases almond production to meet world demand
As part of an expansion into international export markets, Jubilee Almonds needed to enhance their irrigation system - a vital component of almond production.
Background: Waikerie-based Jubilee Almonds is an almond producer determined to lead Australia’s rapidly expanding almond industry. It prides itself on sustainable production and produces 1,500 tonnes of kernels annually toward a national total of 80,000 tonnes.
Challenge: As part of an expansion into international export markets, Jubilee Almonds needed to enhance their irrigation system - a vital component of almond production.
Solution: SAGE Automation delivered a complete refit of the existing pump house and installed a new control system, which allows scalability for new pumps, greater control through real-time alerts and remote monitoring via mobile devices.
Jubilee Almonds CEO Brendan Sidhu said, “SAGE worked with us to understand our problem and they provided just the solution we wanted”.
- Flowrate increased from 600 to 650 litres/sec and eliminated a booster pump and has increased flexibility from 60-650 litres/sec.
- A robust power design allows Jubilee to maximise available power and increase water capacity while they experience increased energy efficiency via variable speed drives.
- A smart state of the art automation system provides flexibility and reliability.
- Best of all, remote device monitoring and real-time alerts means the team can instantly respond to changes in conditions.
SAGE worked closely with the Jubilee Almonds stakeholders to develop a conceptual design and preparation of tender documents.
SAGE were the successful tender and delivered the project which included an electrical system and an automation system:
The electrical system includes:
- A new 2500A main switch board with 2500A generator changeover switch
Automation system control panel
- 4x 315kW Variable Speed Drives
- 1x 150kw variable Speed Drive
- 2x 300A Active Harmonic Filters
- Back channel cooling to limit the heat dissipation into the controlled environment
Brendan Sidhu, CEO Jubilee Almonds
- PLC based control system
- Local touch screen interface
- Ethernet telemetry system to connect the pump house to rest of the property
- Remote SCADA System for control at orchard office
- Alarm paging system (allows critical system alarms to be sent out)
- Remote connectivity to system via smart phone or tablet
- Remote access for Engineering support
- Integration into site irrigation controller