Safe, reliable and fast; Brisbane’s Legacy Way, connecting people with key destinations
Named in honor of the men and women of the Australian Defence Force, the Legacy Way Tunnel has transformed access to and from Brisbane’s western suburbs with key destinations, including Brisbane Airport, the Royal Brisbane Hospital, Fortitude Valley, Chermside and Gympie.
Delivering the reliability and safety benefits that this infrastructure brings to Brisbane is a state of the art Intelligent Transport System (ITS), Tunnel Control Centre (TCC) and 24/7 monitoring.
In March 2014, Schneider Electric engaged SAGE Automation to provide design input and site assistance on the project. Working closely with Schneider in Brisbane, Perth and Telvent Engineering teams in Spain, SAGE produced a full suite of construction drawings for each design package.
SAGE also led the surface works team, coordinating works with other site teams and working closely with installation subcontractors during site works to resolve technical queries.
SAGE successfully commissioned various types of ITS equipment inside the tunnel and on the approaches.
The Legacy Way is the newest addition to the ‘go via network’, a 70km integrated toll road network including the Gateway and Logan Motorways, Clem7 and Go Between Bridge, delivering travel time certainty and enhanced safety for Queensland drivers.
SAGE were responsible for design and commissioning of various ITS equipment including;
- Linear Heat Detection
- Tunnel Lighting Control
- Motorists Help Phones
- Dangerous Goods Detection System
- CCTV system including fixed and PTZ cameras
- Portal and cantilever gantry structures
- Electronic signage including VMS, VSLS, CMS
- Emergency Closure System
- Traffic Monitoring and information including Bluetooth vehicle detection and
Vehicle Detection Loops
- Vehicle Over height Warning System
- Fibre optic network
- PLC equipment (RIO in field cabinets)
- Working seamlessly with Schneider staff
- Leading a team of 15 site install subcontractors
- Working directly with key stakeholders and other
engineering teams on the project
- Completing ITS design in a short time frame
- Commissioning against tight time frames
Matthew Taylor, Senior Project Manager, Schneider Electric